Reminder: Playhouse Test Drive Auditions for 2014
The Playhouse Company will hold auditions on 12 and 13 December 2013 for next year's Test Drive programme.
Auditions registration will be open from Monday, 18 November – Friday, 06 December 2013.
To take part in the Test Drive auditions, which will be held at The Playhouse, contact Khulekani Kunene on 031 369 9440 between 09H00 and 16H30 only, before cut-off date Friday, 6 December 2012.
The Playhouse Company’s Test Drive programme is designed to showcase arts practitioners in the fields of indigenous and popular cultural entertainment. Performance genres typically featured in the series include Maskandi, Gospel, Kwaito, Iscathamiya, Ingoma, Afro Reggae, Imfene, Pantsula, and Hip Hop, among others.
The Test Drive series provides CBD workers with regular opportunities to enjoy free lunch time concerts close to their places of work. It also fulfils a valuable role to the performing arts community as it serves as a show case for artists to be scooped by talent scouts on the lookout for quality acts.
Call for auditions for Sugar Daddies
The Playhouse Company will hold auditions on 20 November 2013 for the production Sugar Daddies.
This production will be presented on The Playhouse Company’s mobile stage to schools throughout KwaZulu-Natal during the month of February 2014.
Sugar Daddies focuses on the current and prevalent issue of older, often married, men with financial means having very young girlfriends. These girls are often seeking a way to achieve a better lifestyle without considering the consequences and implications of their actions. The production highlights the irresponsible behaviour of these older men, “sugar daddies”, as they ruin to lives of their own families and that of the young women they engage with.
1. Thandeka - (16 years old.) Thandeka is a teenager who had just moved to the community to live with her grandmother after her mother has passed away. She befriends Lesiwe at school and in a short space of time begins a relationship with a string of “sugar daddies” around the community. She has very little financial assistance and relies on men to pay her school fees, cell phone bills etc. She has grown up without a father figure. Contracts the HIV virus from her affair with Simpiwe but does not know her status when she sleeps with other men.
2. Lesiwe Cele - (16 years old) daughter of Bhekani and Nosipho Cele. Heavily influenced by her rebellious school friend Thandeka. Encouraged by Thandeka she enters into a brief relationship with a “sugar daddy” named Simpiwe.
3. Nosipho Cele - (38 years old) wife of Bhekani and mother of Lesiwe. A compassionate and concerned mother and wife.
IMPORTANT AUDITION INFORMATION:
- ONLY Female actors between the ages of 20 – 35 should audition.
- All potential candidates need to be proficient in drama.
- Candidates to prepare a one to two-minute monologue.
- Please bring a headshot photograph, as well as a resume with you to your audition.
- Candidates should speak good English and isiZulu.
- Rehearsals for the production will take place from 3-8 February 2014.
- The production will tour from 10-28 February 2014 (excluding weekends).
- There is a possibility of the production touring again in July 2014.
- Aspirant performers must be of a professional standard and preference will be given to performers with professional experience.
Auditions will take place at The Playhouse in Rehearsal Room A1 on 20 November 2013, between 09:30 and 16:00 daily.
TO BOOK AN AUDITION:
Please contact Tania Williams-Kaponda to book your audition, either by telephone between 9am and 4pm Monday to Friday on 031 369 9467 or via e-mail: dancecordinator@
Closing date for audition bookings is midday on Monday, 18 November 2013.
(Source - Pansa)
Free Photographer Workshop
(Source - Sony Centre)
Article by +Fred Felton