Last night I attended the inspiring Hookup Dinner.
This time the venue was GagasiFM which is situated in New Town Centre in Umhlanga Ridge.
There were many entrepreneurs in attendance and a few even pitched their business. We heard from Events Companies and even a man who provides wedding and funeral insurance.
Our guest speakers were from the government and they showed us the intricacies of the tender world.
Here are some of the tips they shared with us:
- Remember to sign your tender, you will be surprised how many people forget to do that.
- Make sure you have your BEE Certificate and Tax Certificate, you will need it.
- Try not to be a jack of all trades, just focus on one niche.
- If you say you are experienced in a field you can be sure you will be asked if you have experience in that field.
- Try not to just provide a service, the government also wants to see that you will provide some sort of development opportunities for the future generations.
- There are many opportunities coming up for entrepreneurs including the building of a new museum and a possible Film Studio.
- The City of Durban has a website where you can register on their supplier database. You will need to do this if you want to tender, here is a link to their website: http://www.durban.gov.za/City_Government/Administration/Administrative%20Clusters/treasury/supply_chain_management/Application_City_Database/Pages/default.aspx
A great time was had by all the entrepreneurs and congratulations to Sphamandla who won the pitching session.
Will you win next time?
The Hookup Dinner has events countrywide.
To RSVP: http://www.thehookupdinner.com/
Article by Fred Felton
Find him on Twitter @fredfelton