Notes From Filmmakers Workshops At DIFF 2014
|One of the many workshops at DIFF 2014|
- 'We are the stories we tell.'
- 'What makes stories compelling?'
- 'Good stories deal with consequences.'
- 'A hollywood film made in another country will be of lesser quality.'
- 'The key element in a film is emotion.'
- 'Emotion is closely related to conflict.'
- 'A story begins when there is some elements of conflict.'
- 'Something unusual must happen.'
- 'Arthouse cinema does not mean boring.'
- 'As a writer you can play around with options.'
- 'You can get more mileage out of suspense as opposed to surprise.'
- 'How much info are you going to give the audience?'
- 'Find a sales agent before you go to a film festival, then when you get to the film festival you have a strategy.
Co-Production - Germany
- If you have a German crew member you have a better chance to get German Co-Production Funding!
- Co-Production is a marriage.
- At a film festival you should network and build relationships and contacts.
Feedback from Provinces - Useful Links
- KZN Film Commission - http://www.kwazulunatalfilm.co.za
- Gauteng Film Commission - http://www.gautengfilm.org.za/
- WESGRO - http://wesgro.co.za/
Notes on Submitting Applications for Funding
- With how much care do you submit your proposal?
- The project description and the treatment are very important when you apply for funding.
- Try send in a trailer if you can.
- If people read your script can they imagine a film or see it as a film?
Useful places to look for funding for your movie or documentary
- IDC - http://www.idc.co.za/our-strategic-business-units/media-and-motion-pictures
- NFVF - http://nfvf.co.za/home/
- IDFA - www.idfa.nl/industry
- World Cinema Fund - www.berlinale.de
- Hubert Bals Fund - filmfestivalrotterdam.com/hubertbalsfund
Article and Image by +Fred Felton